Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Day 223 (43 to go...): Half outty, half flatty

I know I know - I'm huge!!! So much so actually that at our doctor's appointment today, our doctor made the announcement that she wanted another ultrasound ordered for me - just to see how big this baby is! Which of course sends my mind spinning in 20 different directions - what if he's huge, they have only heard one heart beat right, or what if he comes way ealier??? As if there wasn't already enough to contemplate, now there are more "what if's!" Though of course all those get put aside once that doppler runs its way across my tummy and there it is, his fantastic heart beat, oh how I love hearing that!

So much has been going on since I last wrote. First of all I had my last day at my job last Friday and while I thought it would be more difficult to leave, it wasn't. I guess that means that I was just really ready to take the opportunity to catch up on things here and take the chance to really enjoy this last part of my pregnancy. We also started our birthing classes (after a very confusing incident where they had forgot to inform us that our classes had been cancelled) and will be doing those for the next several weeks. So far we have learned different breathing techniques, labor positions to reduce pain and the pros and cons of the different medicinal options during labor. We also had our breastfeeding class where I got to learn all about all the fun different aspects of natural feeding - oh this really is an adventure! Besides the classes we are taking we are keeping busy with many other things! Last week we had the heat pump (which includes air conditioning) installed and have been working getting all those lose ends tied up. We've also finally come up with an idea for the nursery and will begin the room this weekend (yea!!!).

As this little guy keeps growing I've found a lot of interesting changes that come with it as well. I've started getting those Braxton Hicks contractions which while not very painful (knock on wood), do cause me to stop and take a second until it slowly fades away. My belly button which had changed from its formally innie self to a "flatty" position, now has poked halfway out. That's right folks I have half a flat belly button and half an outty - lol! Oh also, I can't see me feet! In his world a lot is going on as well. His fingernails have reached the end of his fingertips, his eyes open and close depending on his sleep cycle and he can register information from all five of his senses. He has assumed the fetal position because his living quarters are becoming cramped and today we learned that his head is lying on my lower left side and his feet are tickling the upper part of my right side, every now and then kicking at my ribs (ouch!).

Well like always we hope all is well with everyone else and we miss you! Take care and please keep us in your thoughts and prayers!

No comments: