Friday, December 30, 2011

The power of "yes"

It's funny how a week with those Christmas toys can inspire new rules around a house. For instance, when you find your child so entranced by his first ever hand held video game that he doesn't even recognize his uncle has flipped him upside down....


then we have an issue. I'm not kidding folks, he didn't budge from that game.

So how does a parent respond? Call me crazy, I am trying to instate the power of the word "YES." Yes to activities that get him moving around, yes to letting him experience all the greatness that life has to offer outside of a video game, and yes to letting him feel that he has awesome and fun ideas. Don't get me wrong, I don't think video games are altogether bad  (in moderation), but I refuse to let it be common past time around here. And once I had him on board (by telling him super heroes needed to make sure they exercised their body and brains)I have to admit we have found an awful lot of fun things to say "yes" to lately.



"Can we start a super hero league?" YES. This is Captain America Super Aiden and you can just call me Missile Girl (sadly I didn't get to pick my own name).

"Can we play with one of my NEW games? (He meant his video game)" YES. How about if we launch your cars off of the new Hot Wheels set, off the steps and try to get them into a bucket below?! (There were strict rules about the getting on the steps though...) Way too much fun.

"Can I not clean my room right now?" YES. Let's go outside for a bit, but when we return you will spend some time cleaning. I have to admit letting him have his way on this one, made him super eager to clean when we got home. Plus it really was a gorgeous day!


"But I'm not tired! Can I go to bed later?" YES. Granted not too much later, but a movie date is never a terrible thing. Note: He was asleep by 8:15 anyways lol



No comments: