Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Great Eight!

Oh dear son of mine, I have contemplated, edited, and rethought this post far too many times to count. I know it's past your birthday, but I have to admit over the last couple of weeks I just keep asking myself how it is possible that eight years have passed. How incredible it is to me that you have graced this planet with a time that seems both so short and yet moves far to fast. And then there is being charged with the task of how do you write about you at eight? EIGHT?!?!?!?!?! How, oh how are you already eight years old? What I would give to just slow down the time you seem to make pass by so quickly.

My sweet boy I'd love to say that this year passed by effortlessly for us, but that would be far from the truth. This has been a hard year in our worlds. Filled with far too much change, even busier schedules, and all the other facets of real life that we already work within. However, with all that has come this year you have never stopped surprising - it's kind of par for the course with you. So in an effort to keep tradition alive, here are the things I love about my now eight year old Aiden:

1. You have totally figured out sarcasm! One of my favorite moments from this year was the day you said "Momma, sometimes I don't understand your sarcasm..."  but you do. Oh do you. And if your little snippets of it are any indicator, you'll challenge even me in this arena. Lol.

2. Your awareness and true genuineness grows all the time. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I've never seen a kid who is so effected by the world. Your empathetic nature is so very endearing. A person on the corner asking for money, a news story you happen to catch - these things go down to your very core, you question this world we live in, and does it ever make us so proud of you.

3. You are so very entertaining. You are never without an imaginative idea in that head of yours. You are always playing some kind of game, or coming up with some wild concoction of an idea.  You love our surprise adventures. You can't get enough of things like going to the dam to watch the first star appear, playing your favorite video games with your dad, building Legos, or finding just one more reason why you need to see your grandma.

4. My gosh are you smart. Sooo smart. From questions about the Cuban Missile Crisis, to needing to know things about family and the Bible, to your ability to process and question new ideas - it's pretty amazing to watch.

5. You have an enviable zest for life experiences. You know you are going to college, and you talk about it ALL THE TIME. So cool. You are quick to let me know what areas you might study, discuss the things you'll get to do as you get older, and dream about a life you so want.

Happy Birthday my sweet boy. You are such a blessing.

No comments: